New Resident Information
Welcome to Genoa Charter Township. The following information is provided to answer frequently asked questions.
Tax bills go out July 1st for the summer tax bill and December 1st for the winter tax bill. If you don't receive a bill please contact the Treasurer Department.
When you get a new dog, please come in and see us at the Treasurer Department. Make sure to bring the paperwork from your vet showing latest rabies vaccinations and if the pet is spayed or neutered.
All new property owners should turn in a Property Transfer Affidavit within 45 days of closing. If the property is going to be your principal residence, a Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) needs to be filed. To have the exemption for that year you need to own and occupy your home before June 1st of that year.
Every February you will receive an Assessment Notice. This will have your new State Equalized Value and Taxable Value for that year. If you have any questions about these figures please contact the Assessing Department. You may also make an appointment for the Board of Review which meets in March where you can challenge your assessed value. The Board of Review will also accept letters by mail or fax if you cannot attend in person. For more information, visit the Assessing Department.
A map showing the pickup days for Genoa Township along with a pickup schedule can be found along the right hand side of this page.
All residential homes have household garbage removed by Green For Life Environmental http://www.gflusa.com, which is contracted through the Township. See the Trash Collection map in the box to the right on this page for your collection day (Monday through Friday). You will be charged $121.00 per year on your winter tax bill for this service. Simply place your garbage out on your assigned day to start using the service. If you have any problems with your garbage pickup, please call the Township 810-227-5225. A garbage container can be rented from Green For Life. Please call them directly to set this service up at 1-866-679-DUMP (3867) and they will bill you directly. The Township does not require you to have a Green For Life container. Please feel free to purchase your own garbage cans (at a maximum 32 gallon capacity per can) as long as the amount of trash set out for placement does not exceed 96 gallons.
Green For Life will provide every resident with a recycling container for your recycling. Please contact Green For Life at 1-888-877-4996 if you do not receive your recycling bin. This service is provided at no extra charge. For your convenience we have the list here of recyclable materials Green For Life collects for you to review. Recycling is picked up each week with your regular garbage on your assigned pickup day.
You can also call Green For Life to have yard waste pick-up at your home. Please call them directly to set this service up at 1- 888-877-4996 and they will bill you. Inform them you live in Genoa Charter Township. The cost is $10.00 per month for up to 10 bags or bundles and extra reserved at the rate of $1.00 per bag or bundle above 10 bags. Yard waste is picked up the first Friday of each month from April through November.
PLEASE NO PLASTIC BAGS OF ANY KIND. Paper yard waste bags or bundles only.
Genoa Charter Township also has 2 dates in the spring and 2 dates in the fall where you can bring your yard waste to the Township Hall. Please check our News Bulletins frequently for these dates. Green For Life will pick-up your live Christmas trees if they are cut in 4 foot pieces up to 3 weeks after Christmas.
Other places you can take your yard waste for composting:
Johnston Farm & Composting
5292 Center Rd.
They accept leaves, grass clippings, brush, wood chips, and soil. They also sell composting mulch. Call for prices and hours. They do not have a web site at this time.
Tuthill Farms & Composting
10505 Tuthill Rd.
They accept leaves, grass clippings, brush, wood chips, manure, Christmas trees, and stumps. Call for prices and hours or visit their website at: http://www.tuthillfarms.com.
Large Item Sticker Program
A large item for garbage pick-up is anything too big to fit into your garbage can. Examples of items that would take a large item sticker are:
- TV all sizes (Best Buy will take and recycle TVs for a fee.)
- Hot Tub -(If cut into large pieces (1 sticker)).
- Portable basketball hoop - Backboard and base would need to be taken off and pole cut in half (1 sticker)
- Doorwall/window/storm door with glass/shower doors - Glass needs to be broken (a great way to do this is to place the piece with glass between two tarps or sheets then break). Please put glass into a box labeled glass. Break down the frame. Sometimes after breaking the glass and frame this will just fit into your garbage can.
- Carpet - Cut the carpet and pad into 4’ wide rolls. A roll cannot be over 50 lbs. Duct tape or tie the rolls. 1 garbage sticker for every 3 rolls.
- Cupboards or vanities - If these items are broken down you can put more out. If not it would be 1 sticker for each item.
- Patio table and chairs - If the table has a glass top the glass will need to be broken. 1 sticker will take a table and 4 chairs.
- Chair with ottoman - Put the ottoman in the chair and this would be 1 sticker.
- Couch/sofa/love seat/stuffed chair/recliner - These items would be 1 sticker each
- Mattress with foundation/box spring - Is 1 sticker per set
- Bed headboard, footboard and frame - Is 1 sticker per set
- Grill - No propane tanks however the grill would be 1 sticker.
- Lawn mower/Snow blower - No gas can be in the item to have it removed would be 1 sticker
- Hot water tank/water softener - Please make sure all the salt or brine in the tank is empty would be 1 sticker.
- Washer or dryer - Would be 1 sticker each
- Refrigerator - Can NOT be removed with a large item sticker. The Township sells Freon Sticker for this item which is $50.00. A scheduled pick-up date is required.
- Construction Material - Green For Life will only take a little bit of construction material from small projects. Please call the Township offices and we can help you. You can always get a dumpster from Green For Life, mention you are Genoa resident for special pricing.
- Wood or metal exterior door - 1 sticker
- Wood interior hallow door - 2 for 1 sticker
- Toilet - 1 sticker
- Tub if large soaker tub it will need to be cut in half - 1 sticker
- Paint - As long as the paint is a water base paint you can open the can and dry it out (put kitty litter or sand in it). Then it can just go into your garbage can. No sticker needed.
- Yard Waste - No yard waste with a sticker. Call Green For Life for their fees associated with this yard waste service.
Some good rules to go by is to make it as easy as you can for the garbage person to pick the item up and put it into the truck. Plus keep in mind that the garbage truck in 4’ wide. If you keep your item to this size it will fit into the truck with ease. Breaking glass before is safer and will avoid glass on the street.
When you come to purchase a large item sticker we will ask what you are putting out to help determine how many stickers you will need.
If the item you are putting out is metal put the item out a couple of days ahead of your garbage day without the garbage sticker on it. There are people out there that drive around and collect metal to turn into money at the scrapyard.
We only take cash or check for a large item sticker.
Here are some other ways of disposing of items:
- Best Buy 810-225-8773 Brighton - They take TV’s and many other electronic items for a fee. Please call them for information.
- Regal Recycling 810-546-3820 Howell - They take all metal items. Please call for hours and information.
- Livingston County HHW Collections 517-545-9609 Howell - They take household hazardous waste, bug spray, cleaners, oil based paint and stains. Please call for an appointment.
- Len’s Rubbish 810-231-3379 Pinckney - They take just about anything. Please call them for hours and price.
Large item stickers can be purchased by check or cash only from the Treasurers Department at the Township Hall. Each resident may pick up 1 Free Sticker per year for large item disposal. When you purchase additional large item stickers they are $10.00. The Township staff will help you determine how many stickers you will need. Place the item or items out with your garbage on your regular scheduled garbage day with the sticker where the garbage person can see it and they will take it away. Carpet will only be taken if it is rolled up and tied with duct tape or heavy twine. One ticket is good for 3 rolls of carpeting, provided each individual roll of carpet does not exceed 50 pounds. There is some special care that is needed for items with Freon in them such as refrigerators. Please call the Township Hall and we will instruct you further. STICKERS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
Green For Life will accept latex based paint cans. Please have the lid off and the contents dried out. You can do this by putting sand or kitty litter into the remaining paint.
Livingston County has a program a couple times a year where you can schedule an appointment to drop off your hazardous waste. Please call them for dates and times at 517-545-9609.
They accept household cleaners, mercury, oil based paint and related products, pool chemicals, lawn and garden chemicals, automotive products, and much, much more. This program is for homeowners only.
Well System Testing
Livingston County is no longer conducting well water testing. Residents looking to test their water can contract with the following local companies:
- Water Tech in Howell 517-548-2505
- Brighton Analytical in Brighton 810-229-7575
In Our Lobby:
In our lobby we have several buckets and boxes where you can drop off the following.
This program is through the Lions Club.
This program is through Livingston County. They accept alkaline household batteries. Alkaline batteries are also accepted at the Livingston County Household Hazardous Waste Collection events.
We participate in the Cell Phones for Soldiers program. The phones are sent to ReCellular, which pays Cell Phones for Soldiers for each donated phone-enough to provide an hour of talk time to soldiers abroad. Visit their website at www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com
We now have phone books in our lobby please come in and help yourself.
If you are on a municipal water/sewer system you should receive a bill quarterly. The cycle you are in is according to your district. To see what district you are in see the last page of this handout, which will tell you who pays and what district. If you don't receive a bill please call 1-810-227-5225.
District Billing Cycle
MHOG/Lake Edgewood West
January, April, July & October
Oak Pointe/North Shore
February, May, August & November
Pine Creek/Lake Edgewood
March, June, September & December
Registering to vote can be done here in the Clerks Office or at the Secretary of States office when you change your Driver License.
Genoa Charter Township sends out a newsletter about every 3 months. This is a great place to get Township information. Watch the newsletter for dates when your garbage day may be changed due to a holiday and when the yard waste dates are.
If you have more questions please feel free to call us:
GENOA CHARTER TOWNSHIP
2911 DORR RD
BRIGHTON, MI 48116