At the November 21, 2106 Township Board meeting, the Board approved the adoption of the following Principles of Governance:
To maintain the high standards and traditions of Michigan Townships, we embrace these principles of governance to guide our stewardship, deliberations, constituent services and commitment to safeguard our community’s health, safety and general welfare.
We pledge to:
• Insist on the highest standards of ethical conduct by all who act on behalf of this township;
• Bring credit, honor and dignity to our public offices through collegial board deliberations and through diligent, appropriate responses to constituent concerns;
• Actively pursue education and knowledge, and to embrace best practices;
• Treat all persons with dignity, respect and impartiality; without prejudice or discrimination;
• Practice openness and transparency in our decisions and actions;
• Cooperate in all reasonable ways with other government entities and to consider the impact our decisions may have outside our Township’s borders;
• Communicate to the public Township issues, challenges and successes, and welcome the active involvement of stakeholders to further the Township’s well-being;
• Strive for compliance with state and federal statutory requirements;
• Recuse a board member from participating in any decision where there was personal financial gain either expected or implied;
• Further the understanding of the obligations and responsibilities of American citizenship, democratic government and freedom.
These principles we pledge to our citizens, our state, and to our country.